Candidiasis – Symptoms , Causes and Treatment
Candidiasis (Yeast Infection, Candida, Thrush, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)
- Symptoms include bad breath,
- chronic infections,
- food cravings,
- adrenal and thyroid problems,
- hiatal hernia,
- indigestion, insomnia,
- mental confusion,
- discomforting odors,
- panic attacks, and menstrual problems.
This is an infection caused by candida albicans, a normally harmless yeast (saprophyte) found in your intestines. Some of it is also regularly found in your mouth, throat, and genital tract. But this organism goes wild when its competitors, the normal bacteria of the intestines, are killed by long term use of antibiotics. This enables the candida to greatly increase in number.
Stress causes a reduced production of stomach acid, which lets candida enter the stomach—a place where it normally is never found. As a result, less digested food enters the intestines, much to the liking of the candida which feeds upon it.
This yeast-like substance proliferates so massively that it enters the blood stream and is carried to many parts of the body, weakening the immune system and causing various problems. candida is called thrush. White sores may develop on the tongue, gums, and inside the cheeks.
In the vagina, it results in vaginitis. Large amounts of a white, cheesy discharge and intense itching occur. Other effects are food allergies, athlete’s foot, ringworm, jock itch, and even diaper rash.
Candida is not transmitted sexually, but mothers may pass thrush on to their newborn children. The baby’s tongue will appear red and be covered with white spots (generally appearing 8-9 days after delivery) that will appear like milk spots. On the buttocks, thrush may resemble diaper rash.
Because their vaginal environment is more conducive to the growth of yeast, diabetic women can contract candida easier than diabetic men.
You may wish to request a blood test for antibodies against C. albicans. A skin test, similar to a TB tine test, is also available. A positive result is clear-cut.
Unfortunately, a negative one provides less certainty that one does not have it. Candida is difficult to diagnose, since a culture cannot be used. This is because this yeast is a normal constituent of everyone’s intestines.
Try to eliminate food allergies, hypoglycemia, any infections, and indigestion.
- Replant Lactobacillus acidophilus. This is the friendly intestinal bacteria which the “wonder drugs” earlier killed off. Lactobacillus is a primary competitor of candida for food in the intestine. Use a retention enema containing 4 oz. warm water and 10 billion organisms (empty twenty 500,000 organism capsules into the water). Use 3 times weekly, 10 minutes each time.
- Helpful herbs include burdock, echinacea, ginger, golden seal, bee pollen, kelp, lobelia, passion flower, pau d’arco, psyllium, slippery elm, ginkgo, and suma.
- Useful nutrients include vitamin B complex with extra biotin: 100 mg 3 times a day. / B12 lozenges: place 2,000 mcg lozenge under tongue 3 times a day between meals. / Essential fatty acids: Wheat germ oil, primrose oil, etc. / Garlic capsules: 2 caps 3 times a day. / Multivitamin cap, 2-3 times a day. Take vitamin C up to bowel tolerance.
- Also helpful: vitamin A: 25,000 IU one to two times a day; B6: 100-250 mg one to two times daily; vitamin E: 400-800 IU daily; biotin; aloe vera juice: 2 oz. four times per day.
- Do not use oral contraceptives while you have candida. Do not use sugary foods. Do not use cheese, alcohol, chocolate, fermented food, gluten grains (wheat, oats, rye, and barley). Do not use meat, pickles, raw mushrooms, vinegar, or any yeast products.
- Yeast thrives on sugars and carbohydrates. A vegetarian nondairy diet of protein, unrefined grains, and vegetables is best. Onions and garlic are very helpful. Fresh, raw garlic is the best. Avoid meat-based proteins, since these are associated with abnormal bowel flora development. Avoid yeasted grain foods.
- Avoid antibiotics and steroids, because they destroy the competing bacteria and allow candida to overgrow.
- Wear cotton underpants, rather than close-mesh synthetic or silk.
- An alternative to douching is the sitz (sitting) bath. Fill a shallow tub to the hip with warm water, then add salt (enough to make the water taste salty, about 1/2 cup) to match your body’s natural saline state. Add 1/2 cup vinegar to help rebalance the vaginal pH to 4.5. Then sit in the water, knees apart, until it gets cool. The bath will do the cleansing. Douching can be done with a similar mixture (4 teaspoons vinegar to 1 pint of water).
Four percent of infants have oral thrush. Keep rubber nipples clean, as well as all objects going into baby’s mouth. If bottle-feeding, boil nipples and bottles 20 minutes after thorough washing (candida spores are heat resistant). Give plain water to cleanse the mouth after every feeding.
Inspect the mouth before each feeding, and begin treatment if thrush is seen. Swab infected areas with saturated solution of baking soda 3-4 times a day. Garlic overpowers candida, so it may be swabbed on the lesions several times a day.