Features of Social Welfare Administration
the concept of administration is applicable in a broader sense to areas including social welfare, business and government, there are certain distinctive features of social welfare administration. Some distinctive features of social welfare administration are given below:
- Social welfare administration deals with social welfare agencies and helps them to achieve their objectives for the target groups for which they are working. It is specifically concerned with identification of social objectives, the formulation and implementation of proposed programmes to achieve the objectives laid down.
- From functional point of view, social welfare administration includes three perspectives of social problems:
(i) restoration of impaired social functioning;
(ii) provision of resources, social and individual, for more effective social functioning;
(iii) prevention of social dysfunction.
- Despite variations in size, scope, structure and types of programmes, every agency has a governing board as an apex body for final decision-making. The board is generally represented by the community it intends to serve.
- Social welfare administration requires optimum utilization of its available resources together with active community participation, so that the ultimate goal of programmes can be achieved properly.
- Social welfare agencies have to allocate certain portion of their resources for survival so that the organization can continue to exist. But this should not limit their capacity to achieve quantitative and qualitative growth.
- Social welfare agencies generally function in a cooperative manner and ensure participation of all the members in administration of their activities.
- There is a growing trend in these agencies to recruit
professionally qualified manpower. It has helped in
introducing professional approach in their