Functions of Stores Management in Hospital
The stores function is a vital part of all industrial undertakings, whether in the public or the private sector. The store is the centre of activities of materials in motion. Conditions of operation in different undertakings differ widely and, therefore, the practices followed also vary widely.
Purpose and objectives:
The main objectives of the stores function is to provide efficient service to all operating functions- production, construction, repairs and maintenance, etc.
- Make available a balance and timely flow of all materials- raw materials, spare parts and components, tools and equipment and all general stores.
- Receive, inspect and issue the above stores to work in progress.
- Accept, store and arrange disposal of scrap and unwanted stores.
Responsibilities and Functions:
The main responsibility of the store function is to provide stores service most economically. To discharge the responsibilities effectively the following functions will have to be performed-
- Identification is the process of codifying and describing all items required to be stocked.
- Receipt is the process of accepting after inspection all materials required for use in the organization.
- Inspection is checking of all incoming materials for quality.
- Storage is the process of storing the materials in warehouse, stockyards, etc…
- Stock control is the process of provisioning which means continuously arranging recoupment, receipts and issues of stocks so as to ensure required service consistent with economy.
- Issues and dispatch is the process of receiving demand from consumers and issuing the demanded materials without loss of time.
- Stock records have to be maintained showing day to day position of receipt issues and stock balances.
- Stores accounting is charging each issuer voucher in a manner so that the money spent is properly allocated.
- Stock taking is the process of verifying physically the quantities of materials and their condition in the stock at specified intervals to see if they agree with quantities shown in stock records.
Types of Hospital Stores:
The hospital stores can be divided into two broad categories:
- Non Consumable Stores: These stores may be utilized repeatedly.
- Consumable Stores: These stores are utilized only once.
Planning of Hospital Stores:
Hospital stores may be planned according to the nature of stores.
- Medical and Drug Stores: These consist of emergency drugs, general drugs, special drugs, medical gases, chemicals and so on.
- Surgical Stores: These store bandages, gauzes, sutures, instruments, equipment, rubber goods, glass items, cotton and general surgical items.
- General Stores: The items of general stores are cleansing materials like soaps and detergents, enamel wares, ward/general furniture, small electric items and so on.
- Linen Stores: Linen stores include textiles, synthetic fabric, woolen articles and furnishings.
- Stationery Stores: All the stationery items including medical forms and papers for medical documentation etc.
- Dietary Stores: Raw materials like vegetables, fruits, tinned item, dry rations are dietary stores items.
- Engineering and Maintenance: It consists of spare parts of civil, electrical, mechanical and electronic items.
Duties of the Store-Keeper
- The items on stores should be placed in such a way that these can be easily located to ensure the availability of products.
- To maintain the stores premises neat and clean. Adequate storage and preservation should be provided.
- To ensure that materials are issued against authorized requisitions only.
- To keep up-to-date record of materials issued, received and balance in stock.
- Store keeper is the custodian of stores and is responsible for its safety and security.
Duties of Medical Officer-in-Charge Stores
- Projection of budgetary requirements.
- Planning and execution of stock checking activities.
- Communicate the purchase department about requirements.
- Help in standardization and variety reduction.
- Minimize obsolescence, surplus, scrap through proper codification, preservation and handling.
- Co-ordination with other departments for various stores function activities including demand forecasting.