It is important to find out your clients hair type for maintaining and caring consultation.
Hair is usually classified into four types – normal, oily, dry, and combination. Natural hair is a fabulous thing, but to get the most out of your hair, you’ll need to learn your hair type, and choose products and hairstyles that work for your particular curl pattern.
There are several hair types of natural hair, and all are classified by curl pattern and texture.
Types of Hair:
Check out whether your client falls under which category of hair.
- Normal hair appears shiny but won’t feel greasy.
- This type of hair is easy to manage and stays good-looking for even after a week after washing.
Care for Normal Hair:
Normal hair requires less attention than the other types. Just use shampoo, conditioner, and oil at regular intervals and in a balanced way.
- The most common external cause is of course excessive shampooing. Yes shampoos are needed to cleanse your hair of sweat, dirt, and excess oil. But shampoos are also detergents which wash away all the natural hair oil from our hair. And shampooing without using a conditioner harms the hair further. Dry hair often look dull and will have split ends. Dry hair may feel itchy and will break down easily.
- High exposure to the sun and wind.
- Using chemical hair dyes or perming your hair
- Using a blow dryer or curling iron too often is the second common cause for dry hair.
Care for Dry Hair:
- The best thing to do would be to shampoo less often, or use a mild shampoo with nourishing/ moisturizing conditioner. Also, do have a look at the conditioner if it’s for ‘dry hair’, ‘frizzy hair’ etc.
- Remember not to use the conditioner on hair near your scalp as this part is naturally oiled by sebaceous glands.
- Dry hair should be washed with a mild shampoo and almond or olive oil should be used to massage the dry scalp.
Avoid Silicones-based Shampoos/ Conditioners:
To find out if a shampoo and conditioner contains silicone or not look at the ingredients on the label. If the ingredients on the label says Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone or silicone, avoid using the products.
- Towel dry your hair whenever possible.
- Use one or two drops of Olive oil in your hair if they look too dry. Don’t use in excess.
- Oily hair looks greasy and will often have dandruff problems. It may look good for about a day after a shampoo wash, but will soon lose its shine and appear lifeless.
Care for Oily Hair:
- Oily hair should be washed more frequently – preferably, every alternate day, so that the dirt and grease cannot accumulate. first and foremost, dryness of the scalp has to be treated to overcome the problem of oily hair. While washing your hair, you must bear in mind that shampoos are not only meant for the hair. They are also specifically designed to clean the scalp.
Women must thoroughly apply the shampoo on their scalp and massage it vigorously with their fingers. Even the choice of the shampoo makes a big difference. Hence, shampoos that have been formulated for oily skin should be used as they have strong detergents to remove the extra grease. If needed, one must apply the shampoo more than once, in order to get rid of all the excess oil from the scalp and hair. No foaming is observed when the shampoo is in the process of removing large amounts of sebum.
Once foaming starts, you can stop the shampooing.
Always rinse your hair thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water, because soap residue can increase the oiliness of your hair. It is better to avoid conditioners, gels, and hair care products as these may aggravate the problem. A vinegar rinse may be useful in combating extremely oily hair. Diluted lemon juice too can help you to have oil-free hair and a pleasant-smelling scalp.
Although diet is not directly connected to this problem, eating nutritious meals and drinking plenty of water will definitely promote the good health of your scalp, hair, and skin.
- Combination type hair show both the characteristics of dry and oily hair. Often, the scalp and hair roots will have oily feel, but the hair ends will be appear dry and split.
Care for Combination hair:
- Combination hair will need separate attention to the scalp and hair ends. Wash your head often but also apply oil and conditioner to the hair ends. If possible, get the hair ends trimmed regularly to avoid split ends.
How to find your Hair type:
- One very simple and effective way of determining your hair type is with the help of the tissue paper test. You should ensure that you wash your hair and scalp with a shampoo one day before taking this test. For this test, you should take a tissue paper and press it at the center of the head and on the sides behind the ears. Remember to only press the tissue paper and do not rub it on the head. A careful look at the tissue paper now will be able to tell you about your hair type. If the tissue paper looks dry after this test, your hair if of dry type. If you happen to find traces of oil in the tissue paper, your hair is of oily type. Combination type and normal type hairs are a bit more difficult to identify. If your head is oily and your hair ends are dry, you most likely have a combination hair type. If your hair is non-greasy and looks shiny, your hair type can be said to be normal. Usually, a person’s skin type is found to have a telling effect on his/her hair type.