Role and Importance of Public Administration
In todays modern state and in developing countries functions and role of Public Adminstration is very important. The role and importance of Public Adminstration are as follows.
1. It is the basis of government.
2. It is the instrument of change in the society.
3. It plays vital role in the life of the people.
4. It is an instrument for executing laws, policies, programmes of the state.
5. It is a stabilising force in the society as it provides continuity.
6. It is instrument of national integration in the developing countries which are facing classwars.
1. It is the basis of Government
It is possible for a state to exist without a legislature or judiciary; but not even the most backward state can do without administrative machinery. The modern state cannot confine its field of activities to merely maintenance of law and order, dispensation of Justice, collection of revenue and taxes and participation in welfare
activities. The modern welfare state is expected to provide more and more services and amenities to the people. Public Adminstration is the machinery used by the state to place itself in a position to make plans and programmes that can be carried out.
2. It is the instrument of change in the society
Public Adminstration is regarded as an instrument of change and is expected to accelerate the process of development. In our country, the government has undertaken the task of levelling down the economic inequalities, spreading education among all abolishing untouchability securing equality of status, rights of women and effective and all round economic and industrial development. The burden of carrying out these social changes in a planned and orderly way rests upon the Public Adminstration of the country. The success of Indian democracy will depend not only on the wisdom of the legislature but more on the capability and sense of purpose on the part of the Adminstration.
3. It plays vital role in the life of the people
Today every aspect of human life come within the range of Public Adminstration. Various departments of government such as education, social welfare, food, agriculture, health, sanitation, transport, communication etc. are run by the department of Public Adminstration. Thus Public Adminstration is rendering various types of services to the people from birth to death of an individuel.
4. It is a stabilizing force in the society as it provides continuity
Public Adminstration is carried on by the civil servants who are the permanent executives. Political executives i.e. ministers may come and go, systems of government or constitutions may under go change but administation goes on for ever. Hence, Public Adminstration is a great stabilising force in society. It is a preserver of the society and its culture.
5. It is instrument of national integration in the developing countries which are facing classwars